When you create a Workflow, the usual arrangement is to proceed through all steps of the workflow's life-cycle in a timely fashion without jumping around or skipping steps.
However, there may be contracts that you're inputting when they're already active, terminated or otherwise don't need to follow all the pending/reviews/document preparation etc. that a brand new contract in your system might go through. This can be an especially big hassle if your Workflow includes reviews - ordinarily a stage cannot progress until all reviewers have added their input.
Fortunately, there are 2 ways to set a stage manually! You can either change the Workflow Stage manually with the Change Workflow drop-down or you can set up stages to be skippable!
Making Workflow Stages Skip-able
- Going to Workflow Template Administration, found in Contract Administration under the Company Admin tab.
- Select the Workflow you want to alter and it will bring up the Workflow edit page. You'll see all the stages in your Workflow listed in numeric order as drop-downs with Stages selected.
- *Note* This should be familiar if you have created a Workflow before!
- To the right of each stage is a checkbox, under the column header "Skip" it does exactly what it says! Marking this checkbox will allow users to skip certain stages of your workflow.
- Once you have marked any stages you want to be skippable, simply save the workflow.
Setting your Workflow with skippable stages is helpful if you're using a general Workflow for all your contracts, with stages that apply to some contracts but not to others.
For example, say your first Workflow Stage is an Initial Review of your contract. If all parties reviewing approve the contract, it goes to the vendor for approval and signatures. Should the vendor send the contract back rejected, the contract goes to a Secondary Review stage. If the vendor approves and signs the contract, the contract should go to the Approved and Signed stage, rather than go through the Secondary Review.
Setting the Secondary Review as a skippable stage will allow your users to skip that secondary review, in the event that the contract is Approved and Signed by the vendor.
**Of course, this method does rely on trusting your Users not to cut corners or skip stages to avoid doing the work required!**
Choosing a Stage Manually from the Summary Tab
So in your hand, you're holding a contract that is in the Active stage. It's been Auto-renewing since last year, so it definitely isn't a new contract that must go through reviews, pending documents etc. But a User just picked a whole bouquet of Oopsie Daisies and put the contract in as a Draft!! Your Workflow has about 25 stages and you're going to have to click on each one!!
Just kidding! Of course not!
- On every contract Summary tab (aka the first page you see when you select a Contract from the Contracts grid) there are a few icons to the right corner as well as the Stage drop-down.
- One of those icons looks like a piece of paper with "refresh dolphins" on it, only one of the dolphins is red and the other is blue. You could call them arrows but "Dolphins" is the preferred iContracts nomenclature. This is the Workflow icon.
- Click on the Workflow icon and you will see a small series of drop-downs pop up. One has the Workflow your contract is currently using. The drop-down below has the Initial stage of this workflow.
- *Note* The initial stage is not necessarily the stage the contract is in currently.
- Click on the "Select Initial Stage" drop-down and select the stage that your contract actually belongs in, then hit "Apply."
- When you do this, any assignees of that Stage will receive an update in their E-mail and the change will be recorded in the History tab.
In this example, the contract was accidentally added as a Draft but is being changed to Executed.
- This particular method can be used by any admin, or any Full Access user granted permission to change a contract's workflow. (This is assigned in their User Permissions. More info on Permissions is Here.)