So say you've got your system set up and ready to go but realize all too late that the field you made a single-line isn't big enough and would have worked better as a multi-line! OH NO what now?
- Before doing any mass changes to your system, we suggest you do a full contract back-up!
Changing a Field Type can be done, but it takes some effort. It’s a multi-step process that basically involves creating a new Field of the correct type, and then replacing the Old Field with the New Field in your Contracts.
- Add the letter X in front of the Old Field so it's easy to see which one gets deleted later.
For example: XTermination Clause
- Create a New Field with the correct name (Termination Clause), use the correct Field Type.
- Insert the Field into your Field Group(s). Don't worry about deleting the other XTermination Clause from this Field Group yet.
- Create a Contract View with the following criteria to bring up all contracts with data in the old field:
XField Name – is null – false
For example: XTermination Clause – is null – false
** Be sure to select the "Include Archived" checkbox! **
Your view should have columns for Contract ID and the field you are updating.
Exporting and Editing your Report
- Export the View to a CSV file using the "Report" button. Be sure to select the “Bulk Loader” option. Delete Rows 1 & 2 and all other columns but Contract ID and XField Name.
- In the header for XField Name, change this to match the Field Group and 'New' field name. For example, Termination Clause is in General Information so the header will read General Information::Termination Clause. This will copy all your old field data into the new field inside it's field group.
- Save this file as a .CSV
Running the Bulk Loader
- Open the Bulk Loader (go to Company Admin – Contracts Administration – Bulk Load Contracts to download the application, if needed). Log in with your company credentials.
- In the Bulk Loader, go to the Menu menu and select Upload Contracts
- Browse for your file and select the checkbox for “Update Contracts” to update using the ID.
- Click Upload Contracts
- The Bulk Loader will check for errors and warnings. If no errors are found, you will see a Continue Upload button appear.
- Click Continue Upload. You will know that the Bulk Loader is finished when you see a message confirming that your contracts have been updated, and when the globe icon stops spinning.
- After confirming data transfer to the new field, delete the old field (with the X before the name) from the Contract Fields Administration. Deleting it here will delete it from your field group and everywhere else in UCM, but it's cool, all your data was saved!
If you need any further help with this, please reach out to UCM Support~