One of our recent and widely used enhancements is the new "Set Approvals" checkbox!
Despite its unimpressive name, it's actually very helpful and widely recognized as an essential part of many company's workflows.
This "Set Approvals" checkbox will change the entire stage into a review, with stage assignees acting as reviewers/approvers. Their approval or rejection will determine the fate of your contract.
Creating a Review Stage
- Make sure there’s a stage created/set aside for your review stage. For this review, we’ve added a “Finance Approval” stage and created a workflow called Contracts over 10K
- After saving the workflow you should see the “Stage Configuration” button in gray on the right. Click that to open the stage configuration options.
- Click on the stage you’re adding a review to. If you haven’t already, select users from the “Individual Users” multi-select. For this workflow we’re selecting this company’s CFO and her assistant. When this stage is a review stage, they’ll also function as reviewers. Mark the “Set Approvals” checkbox to make this a review stage.
“Owner, Primary, Secondary, Tertiary” can be selected to assign this review to those supporting parties per individual contract.
Example: Add this workflow to all contracts with a value over 10K
For this scenario, we’re basing this view off a field: Total Contract Value. You can use whatever field you want! If you’re assigning this workflow to all contracts, use the criteria “Contract ID – Exists – True” which will find ALL contracts.
- Create a view with the following criteria:
Total Contract Value -- > -- 10000
- Save this view and give it a name. When the grid populates, you should see checkboxes to the right. Click on the “Check all” box to select all the contracts in this view.
- From the Action: drop-down, select “modify” and hit Execute. The following window should appear, where we selected to modify “Workflow/Stage.” I’ve selected the “Contract Over 10K stage and below, we’ll select the Initial Stage (where the contract starts off. ) Hit “Apply” and you’ll see a message letting you know the changes are queued.
Now that the contracts are updated with their new workflow, they can be moved through the lifecycle and trigger the review. Let’s see how that works.
Stage Review Process
Now when the contract enters the “Financial Approval” stage, an E-mail will be sent out to the assignees for that contract, letting them know they have an approval:
Contents of the E-mail
- When they click on the link: Click Here, they will be re-directed back to the contract this is a review for, with a pop-up window allowing them to mark their approval/rejection. Users who haven’t responded will be shown as “Pending”
- Make the Approval or Rejection and leave a mandatory note. When they hit ‘Save’ the window closes but the review can still be examined by clicking on the clipboard icon.
- When each reviewer marks either “Approved” or “Rejected,” all members of the review will receive an update via E-mail of their response and their comments. After all reviews are in, there will be a message at the bottom of the final E-mail.
If everyone approved the contract, this message will show as much and let the reviewers know the contract is moving forward a stage in the workflow.
If one or more approvers reject the review, the message will show the approval results with the rejections and comments. The contract won’t move forward, and further action can be taken.
- Any comments or notes added during the approval can be found in the Notes tab, and the History tab will record the results of the approval!